Glasses have become a part and parcel of our lives. Blame it on our unhealthy lifestyles or our relentless use of smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc., spectacles have become a necessity today. Many brands and businesses have also turned this phenomenon into a trend. Milking the decreasing quality of our eyesight and labeling it as a trend has certainly worked in their favor.
But do we want to spend our whole life depending on glasses, spectacles, and lenses? The answer is a simple no. No matter how stylish or trendy glasses look, we know that nothing beats natural vision.
Keep reading to find out more about eyesight and eye care!
Is it possible to improve your eyesight? If you wear glasses or lenses every day, it is normal for you to try to improve your eyesight, as glasses and lenses can be a hassle. A laser eye surgery by the best eye surgeon could surely put all of these problems at rest, but are there any tips to improve eyesight while using prescribed glasses? Yes. One can improve eyesight while using glasses with the help of vision therapy.
Vision therapy can help patients address diseases such as eye turn (strabismus) and eye teaming (convergence insufficiency) and can also be beneficial for those using glasses. You can instill the following activities or eye exercises in your everyday life to take better care of your eyes.
- Rub your palms together to warm them up and close your eyes. Now place the palm of each hand on the corresponding cheekbone and cup your hand over each eye. Hold this position and take deep breaths for 5 minutes. This is known as palming.
- Digital devices can dry up our eyes and decrease our blink rate. This can cause your eyes to feel tired. Blink your eyes repeatedly for some time to boost the glands in your eyelids for effective lubrication. You can also squeeze them tight.
- Pencil push-ups are a common type of eye exercise. Begin by holding a pencil at arm's length and remember to wear your best vision correction glasses. Focus on the tip of the eraser and pay attention to a letter written on the eraser (if required). Move the pencil towards your nose while focusing on the tip of the eraser.
- The 20-20-20 rule is quite helpful too. When we are working, our eyes tend to remain open for a longer amount of time. The rule is quite simple. You will have to focus on a target 20 feet away for 20 seconds for every 20 minutes of work.
- Some people might find it difficult to track an object with their eyes. These individuals can pick a point on the floor that is located 10 feet away from them. Now, with your eyes, trace an imaginary figure 8. Continue doing this for 30 seconds.
How To Take Care Of Eyes Daily
Wondering about how to improve your eyesight? There are a dozen tips that you must follow daily. Taking care of your eyes isn't just a one-time thing. Your eyes function repeatedly and oftentimes they are subjected to pollutants, harmful rays from your smartphone, and more. Take care of your eyes daily to stay away from various (and most serious) disorders concerning the eye. Below-mentioned are some steps you must follow every day for the proper protection of your eyes:-
1. Believe it or not, your eye health does depend on the type of food you consume. This is why you must include nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E in your daily diet. Give the following types of food a try for good eye health -
- Green leafy vegetables such as kale and spinach
- Oysters and pork
- Fish like salmon and Tuna
- Protein food like eggs, nuts, beans, etc.
- Citrus fruits and juices
A proper diet will keep you away from Type 2 diabetes, which is a leading cause of vision problems in adults.
2. The second thing that you would have to do for good eye health is stop smoking. We know that quitting smoking is easier said than done. Smoking increases your chances of getting cataracts soon, causing damage to your optic nerves along with macular degeneration. If you are struggling with the habit of smoking, seek help from a professional immediately.
3. Sunglasses are a must-wear in 2022. Protect your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun by wearing sunglasses. Too much UV exposure can be harmful to your eyes and can increase the chances of cataracts and macular degeneration. Pick a pair of sunglasses that can block 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB rays.
Eye care should be practiced every day to ensure the proper functioning of your eyes. We must also remember to wash our eyes after spending a lot of time outside. Remember to give your eyes an adequate amount of rest for better eyesight. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact our experts!